Shortly after the beginning of the War, Salisbury was chosen as a spot for a POW prison camp. It was located near the railroad tracks, between present day Innes and Bank Streets. The early days of the prison were quite pleasant as the inmates were housed well and images showing baseball games and a leisurely existance exist. Latter, however, overcrowding and disease took over and inmates were dying by the hundreds and being buried in trenches. The National Cemetery was established in Salisbury in 1865 in honor of those 2000 Union prisoners buried in the trenches. The stream that leads through the area led to the death of many an inmate, being used as both a source of water and a latrine, the bacteria from these conditions would eventually cause more deaths than mortar or gunpowder.
The only building left of the prison itself is the old Garrison, located on Bank street. Flanked by historic residences, the old garrison is now the beginning of 7 structures in a row that serve as gardens, relics and an enchanted place to visit. We recently went there and at this time of year, many flowers are in bloom and the trains shuttle by, past statues, omnious signs, antics, butterflies, and possibly fairies and ghosts. In this historic and mystical place, it is easy to believe anything is possible.
|Old Garrison, Covered in vines|
|Image shows location next to the Railroad tracks of old Prison|
|Notice the smiling washpot|
|Mystical garden fairie|
|The Yellow Hous|
|The Teal House|
|The Saw Horse|
|Looking from in front of the Garrison down the street|
|Historic archetecture covers the neighborhood.|
|Salisbury National Civil War Cemetary.|